Sunday, October 5, 2008

Berry lovers rejoice

As my wife, kids, the squirrels, the birds, nieces, nephews, their kids, and all of the grandkids tall enough to pick them know, one of my 25 to 30 year old blueberry bushes died and the other is trying to. That one has been in intensive care all summer, but is still just hanging on.
So as not to disappoint all of the above mentioned, yesterday I bought 3 new bushes, 1 'Berkley' and 2 'Duke' varieties. I want 1 more Berkley and a couple of 'Earlyblues', but they probably wont be available until next spring and I'm not sure I have room for the Earlyblues. I plan to have a line of them along that side of the garden.
My difficulty finding plants brings me to one of my favorite rants - Any gardening book will tell you that fall is the best time to plant shrubs, so why do the garden centers (especially Fred Meyers) get rid of all of their shrubs by the end of summer. Maybe you don't qualify to be a garden center manager if you've ever read a gardening book.
OK, enough rant. All of you Blueberry lovers keep you fingers crossed for my new bushes. (Having no fingers, I'll exempt the birds.)

4 comments:

LAYTON FAMILY said...

HOORAY!!! Oh, wait. I don't even live there. Well, HOORAY for everyone that does!

Amy said...

YES!

jlcumber said...

YAHOOOOOOOO!!!! :) YUM YUM!

Jan said...

He says it might take 2 years for berries.