Sunday, June 28, 2009

On ageing

An old friend from Tek died a couple of weeks ago. Walt started there about 2 years after me and he and I worked together for the next 16 years. There was a group including Walt and I that played softball (as either team-mates or opponents), went on fishing trips, and bowled together.
Nearly all of the old gang was at the funeral. Most of these guys I hadn't seen since I left Tek in '86 and I found it difficult to recognize my old friends inside their new bodies. Their hair is either gone or really, really grey, most are much heavier, and their faces are wrinkled and jowly.
At first I didn't understand why they didn't recognize me, and then it dawned on me - their eyesight is going too.
God, it must be terrible...
; )

3 comments:

Thayer & Associates said...

Or and this is a stretch I know.... You're getting old too.

Sam said...

Roger. You are one funny man. Good stuff, dude. Sorry 'bout your buddy.

jlcumber said...

TOO freaking funny!!! Love it Dad! Sorry about Walt. :(