Sunday, June 21, 2009

Anniversary Celebration

Thursday was our anniversary and we had decided on a balloon ride to celebrate. The nearest date Jan could get was Friday the 19th and we had to be at the airpark at 5:15 AM so we got a room in Newberg and went over Thursday night. Our beautiful, talented, intelligent, wonderful granddaughter Mackenzie (Kenzie, Kiki) spent the night at our house to take care of her Great-Grandmother. (If I butter her up enough, maybe she'll do it again. Did I lay it on too thick?)

Sadly, the ride was rained out or more accurately, blown out. It was too windy Friday so we'll have to re-schedule.

Instead we went to the Evergreen Air Museum in McMinnville. It's a really neat place to visit if you like aircraft and I do. Howard Hughes' HK-1 (Spruce Goose) is amazing. If you haven't seen it, you really should.

I don't know how many planes they have inside, but it's a lot. They also have quite a few outside including those like my AF squadron had.

F-102A


T-33


I actually got to fly this one. Of course the real pilot (Capt Charley Stewart) did the take-off and landing and made sure I didn't splatter us all over North Carolina, but I did get to play around with it. Great fun!!

1 comment:

Sam said...

Looks fun!!! And, no, papa you didn't lay it on too thick? Can it be too thick for a teenage girl from her dear grandfather? :) Happy Father's Day, by the way!