Friday, June 11, 2010

Daytime TV

With all the rain, my days are spent reading, napping, and watching TV. Since I can't stand soaps and the contestants on game shows are so totally stupid they turn me off, it's mostly Matlock, Perry Mason, and The Heat of the Night.
I'm impressed with the police on The Heat of the Night. These guys and gals never, never waste their time on burglaries, petty theft, or break-ins let alone traffic control. No way, these folks are always investigating murders.
Now, Sparta is supposed to be a small town in rural Mississippi. I grew up in a small town in rural Oregon and I remember 2, maybe 3 killings from the time we moved there when I was 7 until I left just before I turned 18. Sparta and environs average at least 1.5 dead per week and, of course the police always catch the bad guys, so an average of at least 1.5 people get shipped of to prison per week. That's a loss of 3 citizens per week. Multiplied by 52 weeks per year comes out to 156 people per year. It's a good thing the show was cancelled, a small town can't sustain that kind of population loss long term.

3 comments:

LAYTON FAMILY said...

you have way too much time on your hands. have you watched any old seasons of Psych? It's our favorite. Also, I like Cold Case. It's set in Philly and the murders are old, so it's TOTALLY believable. Just sayin' Sisters, don't you think Dad would LOVE Glee? They're rerunning the entire season this summer.

Amy said...

Okay, here's what we do, go rent an entire season of something and watch it all in a row. It's way more fun that way. We netflixed lots of stuff that way and we were never so bored that we analyzed the ridiculousness of the shows. I'm sure it never even crossed our mind.

Sam said...

Unca...that is freaking priceless. I love it. Such analytical skills you possess! Have Dad mail you all six seasons of 24! He hearts that show, so we got him all the episodes! :) Serious! You'd be entertained...from what I hear. :)